Potential BNC users who are not affiliated with the University of California are required to meet with BNC Managing Director Paul Lum to begin the process of requesting access to the facility. Paul will review the suitability of your projects to determine if the facility meets your research needs. Several additional steps are required:
- Attend a BNC Orientation Meeting, offered by the Managing Director. Register for the meeting by sending an e-mail with your name, company name or other non-academic affiliation description, supervisor, and contact phone numbers to Paul Lum, email@example.com, call 510-666-3356, or stop by the BNC office at 121 Stanley Hall.
- Pass the campus EHS 101 and BNC Safety Test. The test usually takes about an hour, and can be retaken if necessary. Safety credentials for the lab are recertified yearly. No appointment is required to take the test, just drop in at the BNC office, 121 Stanley Hall.
- Set up a Purchase Order and contract between UC and your organization or company (Sample Agreement is available for review). CSS Financial Analyst Troy Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org, processes purchase orders and can answer questions related to recharge.
- BNC account activation is usually one working day after all paperwork is processed. You will need to go in person to 174 Stanley Hall with an authorization from the Managing Director to activate your card key. This will give you access to the lab.
- You must become qualified on each piece of equipment you use. BNC lab users support each other by providing training and testing in their areas of expertise. To become certified on a piece of lab equipment, you must pass oral testing conducted by a super user of that equipment and demonstrate proficiency. Equipment manuals and procedures are online for study.
The BNC operates on a recharge basis with a monthly access fee coupled with hourly fees for specific technology. The established recharge rates are below. Once a researcher signs up for access, this monthly charge will continue until a documented request for removal is received. This access fee will apply to all researchers using BNC facilities as well as those working on methodology and instrument development in the BNC development labs. Note that rates are subject to change without notification.
The monthly access fee provides access to the facility’s standard equipment and consumables. The use of several pieces of equipment is subject to an additional hourly recharge, please see rates below. BNC management welcomes recommendations for consumables that are used commonly by the BNC community.
When the user is being trained for BNC equipment usage by the staff or “superusers,” the general user fees will be applied along with a reduced charge equal to half of the minimal hourly charge for the corresponding equipment. A list of all qualified users will be posted on each piece of equipment requiring training.
BNC Rates for Non-UC Researchers
|BNC Rates * **||Primary Equipment Available||Associated Consumables Provided|
|BNC Fee||$620.00 per month (flat fee regardless of use)||See Equipment page||See Equipment page
|Photolithography||$135.00 per hour||Lithography sinks, OAI aligner, Brewer Science Spinner, hotplates, profilometer, and Zeiss light microscopes.||See Equipment page
|FEI Quanta FIB SEM||$126.00 per hour||FEI/Quanta FIB scanning electron microscope||Sample holders, tweezers, use of the SEM sputter system|
|Zeiss||$420.00 per hour||Helium ion microscope||Sample holders, tweezers, use of the SEM sputter system|
|PHI XPS||$181.00 per hour||X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy||Sample holders, tweezers, use of the SEM sputter system|
* Rates subject to change without notice. Stanley Hall QB3 Garage users, please contact Donna Hendrix for rates.
** To cancel access, requests must be submitted in writing no later than the 25th day of the month to avoid being charged for the following month. The cancellation will go into effect on the 1st of the following month and access fees will only be charged up to the month of cancellation. Additionally, a list of each lab’s access will be sent annually for confirmation.