Through its independent Ph.D. program, the Biophysics Group provides a broad range of available research labs to its students. The faculty members affiliated with our program are a self-selected group from many departments, reflecting the varied research interests in biophysics and biochemistry throughout the University. With regard to coursework, we advise our students to match their curricula of study to their individual backgrounds and research interests. As a testament to the success of the program, the students it attracts have been consistently of the highest caliber and many graduates hold positions in universities and research institutions in the United States, including here at Berkeley.
The Biophysics Graduate Group has exceptionally strong faculty support. Among the departments and organizations represented by our faculty are:
- QB3: The California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences
- Department of Molecular & Cell Biology
- Department of Physics
- College of Chemistry (Chemistry and Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering)
- College of Engineering (Bioengineering and Mechanical Engineering)
- Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management
- Department of Integrative Biology
- Department of Plant and Microbial Biology
- Department of Psychology
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab
- Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute
Although the Biophysics faculty come from a variety of fields, one constant theme is a quantitative approach to the study of biological processes. We encourage our students to gain a wide range of scientific expertise, therefore students may also work with faculty who are outside of the group.