The Career Field Resource pages describe the more common fields that employ scientists with advanced training, with a short list of websites which will help you understand the field. Each section has:
- at least one or two articles to provide an overview of the field or career paths;
- resources specific to Berkeley (access to opportunities you can pursue while a student or postdoc);
- more general sources of information including professional associations, sites with industry news and career advice, and fellowship/job listings.
Biotechnology, Pharmaceuticals, and Medical Devices
When academics talk about a career “in industry” often the reference is to working as a researcher in the private sector. A bench research career is one option in these industries, however, there are many more possibilities to explore: from business development, to science communications, to regulatory affairs, to technical sales and support.
- PIEP – Postdoc Industry Exploration Program
- Departmental collaborations and events, such as MCB Industrial Affiliates Program and Chemistry’s ChemX Conference
- Career Center’s Career Connections events, such as “Biotech Connect”
- See also our section on Entrepreneurship
- Panel discussion on “Future of Biotechnology” (Fall 2020). College of Chemistry faculty and alumni delve into the latest innovations and trends, impacts of AI and data science, and diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives in biotechnology.
- Interviews with Berkeley alumni
- Gary Lee, PhD, Chief Scientific Officer, Senti Biosciences – Learn about Gary’s experience and insights on how graduate students can prepare for a career in industry here
- Mike Holmes, PhD, Chief Scientific Officer, Ambys Medicine – Mike reveals his pioneering work in genome editing techniques in gene therapy, and his path from student to industry leader in this interview.
- Erin Dueber, PhD, Senior Principal Scientist, Department of Early Discovery Biochemistry, Genentech. This interview describes Erin’s job at Genentech, and the role of exploration and risk taking in career decisions .
- Rachel Haurwitz, PhD, President and CEO and a co-founder of Caribou Biosciences. “Choosing a career in industry: An interview with Rachel Haurwitz“
- Timothy Day, PhD, CSO and co-founder, DNALite Therapeutics describes his career transitions – from Kansas to Berkeley to Mission Bay, and from Cal doctoral student to CSO in our exclusive interview.
- BioSpace article, “Biotech vs. Big Pharma: Which is the Better Place to Work?”
- Nature article, “How to Sail Smoothly from Academia to Industry”
- Mendeley article, “What are the Career Options for a PhD in the Pharmaceutical Industry?”
- Science Careers article, “A day in the life of a technical sales representative“
- Structure/types of departments in pharmaceutical manufacturing companies
- Structure/types of departments in medical device companies
- UCSF – OCPD overview of careers as an industry researcher
- International Center for Professional Development (ICPD) offers Scientist Mentoring & Diversity Program for Biotechnology programs and others – serves students, industry executives and entrepreneurs by utilizing facilitated mentoring, direct instruction and web-based learning
- Medtech Women – job postings and networking opportunities
- BIOCOM – promotes California’s life science sector though events and policy/advocacy work; good resource for learning about news/trends and local industry
- Innovate Bio has a list of industry trade associations by state
- California Life Sciences – trade association representing California’s life sciences industry. Look for the industry intelligence reports, which address topics such as “in-demand technical skills and job titles”
- Southern California Biomedical Council – resources to support biomed/biotech firms, service providers, public sector agencies, research hospitals, and colleges and universities.
- Life Sciences Job Network (From FierceBiotech/FiercePharma/FierceMedicalDevices)
- BioSpace – job postings and career advice, including salary surveys
- Biotech Companies in the Bay Area & Northern CA (from BioPharmGuy)
- Labiotech – European start-up/biotech landscape