The Career Field Resource pages describe the more common fields that employ scientists with advanced training, with a short list of websites which will help you understand the field. Each section has:
- at least one or two articles to provide an overview of the field or career paths;
- resources specific to Berkeley (access to opportunities you can pursue while a student or postdoc);
- more general sources of information including professional associations, sites with industry news and career advice, and fellowship/job listings.
While the financial industries encompass a huge range of companies and professional roles, generally STEM PhDs tend towards: careers in venture capital firms that fund science or tech related start-ups; work in financial modeling (as quantitative analyst roles) or industry specific equity research.
- Career Center – Attend information sessions, career fairs (such as Investment Banking Forum) and networking nights with financial services and venture capital employers – find out about opportunities through Handshake. Use the Vault Guides within Handshake (look under the “Resources” tab) to learn about different career paths, companies and industries.
- Venture capital groups targeting Berkeley inventors, or made up of Berkeley students – Dorm Room Fund, The House
- See also resources for entrepreneurship
- Seth Lieblich, PhD, Principal, 8VC provided an interview with QB3-Berkeley in 2022. Seth’s career has touched on multiple aspects of the biotech entrepreneurship ecosystem, including his current role in venture capital. Read about his path and perspectives here.
- Andy Hsieh, PhD, biotechnology analyst at William Blair and Berkeley alum provided an interview with QB3-Berkeley in 2023.
- Biocareers, “Career Paths Finance and VC”
- New York Academy of Sciences, “From the PhD to Equity Research Analyst”
- ScienceCareers, “Preparing for a Career in Venture Capital“
- ASCB article, “Frizzled to finance: one PhD’s path from a Drosophila lab to Wall Street”
- Venture capital firms offer fellowships/internships to PhDs – for example “5AM Ventures 2022 Fellowship“, “8VC Fellowship” and “Foresite Fellow“
- PhD Career Guides, Finance and Venture Capital
- Gaebler.com – venture capital firm list by state
- BioBuzz blog, “Fifty Years: The Journey from PhD to VC” – overview information and profile of one company (50 Years) that hosts a “program PhD to VC, which aimed at preparing young scientists with the skills needed to jumpstart their VC careers”
- BayBridgeBio blog, “Top biotech venture capital funds of 2018-2021“
- National Venture Capital Association (NVCA) has job listings, and general info on public policy
- Quantstart, “How To Get A Quant Job Once You Have A PhD”
- International Association for Quantitative Finance
- Society of Quantitative Analysis